St. Mary's Church has a long history of a high standard of music, both choral and organ.
Details of both are shown below. 

OUR CHOIR

​​
The present choir continues a Choral Tradition which started almost 600 years ago when Henry Chichele established a college which consisted of a number of Lay Canons as well as six choristers supported by a singing master and a grammar master. The college supported them for about a hundred years until the college was surrendered to Henry VIII in 1542.
It is thought that no church choir existed from then until the end of the nineteenth century when the Oxford movement found its way to Higham and a small non-professional choir would have been started.
The choir was certainly in existence before the First World War and has continued ever since with the inevitable ups and downs in the number of choristers. In 1982 the choir was reformed and since then has gone from strength to strength with more elaborate music offered to accompany the worship in the Parish Church.
 
The choir of today still has this ethos at its centre. Worship is offered that is the best in the Anglo Catholic style and the music reflects this. Under successive choir trainers the choir now numbers around 40 voices with ages from 7 years up to 89. Today music from across the periods is sung with the emphasis on good quality. The choir also makes trips to cathedrals on a regular basis as well as visiting other churches. First of all, though, worship in the Parish Church of Higham Ferrers is still the main reason for the choir’s existence and the one thing that all in today’s choir have in common is their love of singing. 
Young people are always welcome to join the Youth Choir  and likewise adults to the Senior Choir. The tradition of singing is still going strong in St. Mary’s as in Henry Chichele’s time and today the original choir stalls are still home to the choir as they were in 1425.
 
If you or your children have an interest in joining the choir please contact the Director of Music, Tony Edwards on 01933 276433 or contact him by e-mail .
 

The Choir at Salisbury Cathedral

THE ORGAN
In 1929 a new organ was built by Hill, Norman & Beard on an organ loft above the screen of the Lady Chapel. This instrument continued in use, with a partial rebuild in 1988 and addition of the Choir organ, for which only the keyboard was present in the 1929 organ, until the early 21st Century. It was then found that the instrument needed extensive, and expensive, restoration and the Parish decided to look into alternative ways of adding to the musical life of the church. Mr Peter Collins of Melton Mowbray was approached with a view to building a new hybrid instrument which would use a combination of some of the original pipework with digital expansion. The decision was made to go ahead and have  a brand new organ of this type installed in the church. Although this type of organ is well known in the USA it was to be the first of its kind in this country. The new organ incorporates the latest technology including the computerised means to regulate the digital work to adjust to the fluctuations of pitch always present in the pipework due to change of climatic conditions.